In Memory

Richard Marc Silver

Richard Marc Silver, 1941-2009

Survivors: Wife, the former Linda Yuko, and stepmother, Goldie Silver of Beachwood

Memorial service: Was Monday

Contributions: Center for Car diovascular Cell Therapy, Attn: Dr. Marc Penn J2-4, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, OH 44195

Arrangements: Berkowitz-Kumin Bookatz Memorial Chapel

GATES MILLS, Ohio — Richard M. Silver won road races, fought in Vietnam as a Green Beret, built many local homes and served as president of the Ohio Home Builders Association.


The adventurous man died Sept. 11 at the Cleveland Clinic after a dozen years of heart problems. He was 68.

"There was nothing he didn't try at least once," said his widow, the former Linda Yuko.

The home builders called him their "education president" for boning up on new regulations and spreading the word about them.

From wetlands to health care, "He'd always be on the cutting edge of emerging issues," said Vince Squillace, the home builders' executive vice president.

Silver was born in Cleveland and graduated from Shaker Heights High School and Ohio State University.

He became a Green Beret and injured his arm in a rip cord while parachuting at Fort Benning. He still graduated from jump school, though, and went on missions in Vietnam.

Silver spent about 10 years as a traveling garment salesman based in Cincinnati. He joined Forest City Enterprises in Cleveland, helping to develop local homes.

Then he opened Silver Construction, which built many homes and condominiums in Solon and other eastern suburbs. On the side, he held several offices with the Ohio Home Builders, rising to president in 1994.

He rode motorcycles, fly-fished and target-shot. He also led a "Spirit of Cleveland" car team that qualified for road races at Mid-Ohio, Columbus, Sebring, Daytona and elsewhere, winning a few.

The vocal man had several pet expressions. "Data In, Data Out" meant something like "Learn before you talk." "Centaurus 1 calling Centaurus 2" meant "Pay attention."

Silver lived in several East Side communities, including Beachwood and Pepper Pike. After marrying in 1999, he rehabbed a 19th-century farmhouse along the Chagrin River in Gates Mills.

He was diagnosed with heart failure in 1997 and given little time to live. But medicine and exercise kept him active for another dozen years. He recently underwent experimental surgery to put enhanced stem cells in his heart.

No immediate relatives from his childhood survive. He outlived his parents and his sister.